Thursday, April 16, 2009

Font sizeblank check

So, have you ever got one of those checks in the mail? They are written out to you, personally for $5000. Or maybe $10,000. Or something like that. And at first you get really excited and think, yes! And then you read the fine print that says if you cash this check--this amazing wonderful gift out of thin air that will solve all of your problems--you will owe the credit company 38% compounded interest for the rest of your life and your first child. Or your second.

So, I'm watching CNN's coverage of the tea party in Chicago, and the fabulous professional reporter lady is getting a little worked-up at one of the protesters, trying to help him understand that he has nothing to protest about because the government is going to send him a check for $400. And, all I can think is, does this woman never read her junk mail?

2 comments:

  1. When I was little Dad would get those things in the mail saying, "You (may)have won a million dollars!!" and I would get excited until Dad just threw them away. Once I started getting false-hope mail of my own, though, and read the small print, I understood. There's nothing like a bit of growing up to give you some perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would be surprised how many elderly people used to come into BofA, check in hand, wanting to cash it. I've had numerous conversations explaining what the check is and what will happen if they cash it. Sad to see they're faces realize...

    ReplyDelete

Followers