Sunday, April 26, 2009

Feminism

So, these are some thoughts on feminism. If you're looking for something light and humorous, click away! (Quickly, before you're sucked in!)

I occasionally read one of the feminist Mormon blogs. The problem is, every time I finish reading, I become much less of a feminist than I was before. (It's the whining. and the self-centeredness. And the looking at everything bass-ackwardness. And little things like that.)

I have realized that I believe a few key things differently than some of my feminist sisters. One, I believe that any understanding of women begins with the fact that we are different than men, and those differences are deep and eternal, and encompass not only the way that we look, but the way that we think and our own internal purpose. I believe that women throughout time have been strong and powerful in their chosen and necessary roles. I believe that we as women are communal, and when we cut ourselves off from our foremothers, by believing them to have been weak and powerless, we become weak and powerless. When we connect ourselves to their legacy and find the respect and the deep reverence that they are owed, we find that we ourselves are worthy of those things.

This is not to say that there has never been abuse, discrimination, or oppression. Certainly, there has. But when we focus on "the systematic oppression of a patriarchal system" we miss the matriarchy that is so essentially intertwined with that patriarchy. Destroying patriarchy as being devoid of anything positive and good quickly destroys its partner as well. So, I say, "Yay, Women!" " Yay, Men!" Love 'em both.

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! There's this one blog I read sometimes that seriously makes me wonder sometimes if its authors have any faith in God whatsoever. After all, the prophet is (and always has been) a man and the patriarchal system is inherently flawed and deprecating to women...or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you! Life is like that...men and women have forever been waging that war of whose better. For me feminism is about women being better than men based on tribulations of oppression and the ignorance of men as the oppressors. What gets forgotten is that we are all human beings prone to making mistakes that each person making those errors is going to be held responsible for them. Those men (and whatever neophytes still exist) to oppress women will answer for their transgressions.

    We as women must realize that we are different from men, but it is our differences that give us power. We are the vessels through which our Heavenly Father has seen fit to pass through us. We are the educators of our children. What greater responsibility is that? We have the opportunity to change the future by the children we care for.

    Oppressive men come from ignorance of truth and it seems to me that feminism in itself can be the same sort of ignorance. Let us remember the past (for educational purposes) but live in the present and rejoice in the blessings of living in a much more educated time. (Thank You Kristen for you insights)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like what you had to say here. I think some women think they are beneath a man because they can't have the priesthood themselves. I know that the priesthood can work in all of our lives via worthy men in the church. I know that my husband is much better than me at certain things and always will be. I am blessed to have been able to carry and nurture his children. That is enough for me. Men and women need to work together because we both have something special to offer the world.

    ReplyDelete

Followers