Thursday, November 12, 2009

So, how's that camper-thing working out, anyway?

For any of you who have stuck it out with me, reading even when I have nothing to say and say it badly, this is your reward: finally, an update on life in Zion's Camper (a stray sunbeam doubled as a flash of inspiration in Gospel Doctrine one fateful Sunday, and we realized that this camper was our march from Kirtland to Jackson County. Only we don't actually want to go to Jackson County. And we don't want dysentery. But we DO want Zion in our home.)

Here are some answers to FAQs, either asked or implied:

Q: Are you guys poverty-stricken?
A: We're doing fine, thank-you.
Q: No, really: are you dirt-poor?
A: No, we're really fine. But thank you for the ham. (Just joking--no one has yet left a stray basket of food items on our doorstep.) We really are doing just fine--we'd be a little better if the guy renting our house paid his rent anywhere near on time. (So if you know of a more reliable tenant, we are open to suggestions. . .)

Q: What's the hardest thing about living in a camper?
A: Boundaries. We have little to no privacy, and the kids take full advantage. I'm at this minute staving off attacks from three small saboteurs who should have been in bed an hour and a half ago. Also, someone keeps using my toothbrush, which wasn't a problem when I had my own bathroom. Although I ought to be thoroughly grossed out, it turns out that I'm just glad that they're brushing their teeth.

Q: How do you keep your sanity?
A: How do you?

Q: Is there anything good at all about living like sardines in a tin can?
A: Surprisingly, yes. There are a lot of blessings that come with being so close--we're closer as a family and more aware of each other's needs, strengths, and weaknesses. We spend a lot of family time together. I get to spend a little time each day with each child doing something that is specific to their needs and wants. (Vilate's wants are pretty simple, by the way, but deeply felt--right now she deeply feels that she should be fed.) I also really enjoy living without all our stuff--we have just about what we really need (and a little bit more, to tell the truth.)

Any more questions?

4 comments:

  1. I was wondering how you guys were surviving! Our renter doesn't pay his rent on time either. I'm sure it is difficult at times (well it was for us and I only had 2 kids), but I bet your kids will look back on it as a great and awesome adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that your family doesn't have dysentery, or any other gold-rush era diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the comment about the toothbrush....as mom's it really is the little things that seems to make us happy, isn't it? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Krisitin- I don't know if you will see this comment, but if you do could you please email me your address? jillthornby at gmail. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Followers